How Wanting Less, Gets You More


We have all been there, we buy things and then we regret it. Then came the notion that it's better to regret something you bought than regretting something you didn't buy.

But really is that how it is?

Sometimes, we look at a new preorder or a proto reveal and we go, "OH GOD THAT'S AWESOME" and then after we get the item we go "Why did i get this one again?"

For the financially stronger, this wouldn't be a problem and I'm not gonna bother with them since they have the means, so whatever they do with it, it's not for me to judge. I'm talking about us; you, me, the regular joes who work office hours and still love the hobby.

If we're not careful we could end up being eaten by that which was supposed to be our relief from the daily shit that is life.

So what do we do? Simple, we revisit our hobby.

What?

Revisit the hobby.

Let me elaborate, everytime you get something new, everytime you look for something or buy something, look back at it... what is it that you actually "buy"?

I'm not talking about the item, I'm talking about its traits. Like for me personally, back then, everytime i buy something I always look back, what is that that i actually "want" from this? A figurine? A nice toy to make comics and take pictures of? A certain hairstyle? A certain characteristic?

Everytime I revisit those questions, everytime I come to the same conclusion, i prefer articulated 1:12 action figures that are well articulated, and of the Mecha Musume or Moe Gijinka genre...

This made my collection more specific and narrow, it helps me choose what to buy next and it helps to reassure me that when I do get it, I KNOW I will like it...

Not to mention, it also helps your financial management, considering that you only get what you specifically like or prefer.

I'm not saying that collecting whatever you want is not ok, if you have the means then be my guest. But for the rest of us, it's sad that if we're not careful we ended up saying:

"I think it's time for me to retire the hobby", not because that we are unable to care for it anymore, but because we can't afford it anymore...

Besides, if you think your hobby is expensive... you have your priorities mixed up, either you drop the hobby or you need to work harder. Because face it, when we love something, nothing would seem like a problem.

-BY

Comments